- 12 medium scallops, removed from shell and washed, coral removed
- 1 packet of Clonakilty black pudding (or the best black pudding available to you)
- 15 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp of good olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 3-4 finely diced shallots
- 50g of chopped hazelnuts
- chopped fresh flat leave parsley
- Prepare the scallops by washing and patting dry with kitchen towel
- Put them in the fridge whilst you prepare the rest of the dish
- To make the salsa, add the finely diced shallots, garlic, oil and vinegar into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Quarter the cherry tomatoes and add to the mix.
- Add the parsley and season with salt and pepper
- Dry fry the hazelnuts for a few minutes then add to the salsa mix.
- This works well made an hour ahead for the flavours to mingle
- Chop the pudding into 12 even portions and fry in a little oil, leaving a minute a side
- Put on clean plate and keep warm
- To sear the scallops, put a clean frying pan on high
- Season the scallops and oil them individually before placing them in the red hot frying pan
- Lay them in a clockwise fashion, as they can overcook in seconds and this way lets you know which scallop went down first
- Turn the scallops after 90 seconds and leave to 90 seconds on the other side.
- Remove from the heat immediately to prevent further cooking
- To plate up, place 3 pieces of pudding on the centre of each plate, place one scallop on each piece of pudding, and then drizzle with the toasted hazelnut salsa.
- Sprinkle with the remainder chopped parsley, and await the gasps of appreciation from your guests!