Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Date, Seed & Quinoa Flapjacks - The Healthiest Flapjack Ever






When running the B&B I had a constant supply of homemade flapjacks in my fridge. I used to make them for my guests, I'd eat them on the go myself, they would be gifts for busy/pregnant friends; and basically they were given to anyone who came through the door. I was always making at least twice weekly.




I am constantly getting requests for the recipe, Apricot Flapjack Squares, as everyone loves them and they seem so healthy. However being ever conscious of the indulgent wet ingredients I set about researching how I can make them healthier. Usually people would be disappointed to learn that the wet ingredients used to bind the delicious flapjacks was a considerable amount of sugar, butter, peanut butter and maple syrup. The recipe makes a big batch so you're not eating a whole amount of the wet ingredients in one square, but they are slightly addictive and one can never stop at just the one square. Trust me; I have both tried and failed.

So, with Christmas party season upon us almost, I will be on the go constantly and I wanted to make a super healthy version of my flapjacks to give me the energy I need this time of year, without piling on the pounds and bulging out of my party frocks.



Here is probably the healthiest ever!!!! There is no sugar, butter, peanut butter or maple syrup. Instead the flapjacks are bound together using melted coconut oil and warm honey. Both of which have extremely beneficial nutritional properties. The flapjacks have the usual oats, nuts, seeds and dried fruit; but I've also added super foods Quinoa and Chia Seeds. Fantastic ingredients high in protein and iron. They make these 'protein bars' a fantastic way to refuel after a high energy work out, as protein is required immediately after a strenuous workout to help repair muscles.



The method is almost the same as the method for my regular naughty but nice Apricot Flapjack Squares, with a few tweaks.



Ingredients


  • 1 cup of quinoa (cook this with 2 cups of water for 15 minutes and drain excess liquid)
  • 2 cups of rolled oats
  • 3 tsp of Chia seeds
  • 1 cup of raw almonds
  • 1 cup of dates
  • 1/3 cup dessicated coconut
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/3 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 cup of melted coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup of warm honey





Method

  1. In a food processor blend up the almonds and dates.
  2. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
  3. Into a big bowl, add the porridge, all the seeds, the blended dates and almonds, and the coconut.
  4. Mix together the oil and honey until perfectly combined.
  5. Pour the the oil/honey mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix quickly to ensure every grain is coated.
  6. Turn out the wet mixture into the baking dish and level out flat and evenly.
  7. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes then allow to cool on a wire rack.
  8. When fully cooled, place in the fridge to firm up for 3 hours at least. They are more crumbly than normal flapjack, but this is normal for non butter ones.
  9. Cut into small squares when firm and keep in an airtight container in the fridge to keep them both fresh and intact.



2 comments:

plasterer bristol said...

These sound super delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.

Simon

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this recipe, thank you for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...