If there is one recipe I am doing to death and constantly chopping and changing the ingredients is my Apple Blueberry and Almond Cake Apple Blueberry & Almond Cake. This recipe is so versatile, you can add any berries you wish, or dried fruits or even chocolate chips. The basic cake mix is my 'go-to' recipe for a very quick and light fluffy cake.
Last week all my garden berries were ripe for picking. I had a tonne of cranberries. In fact more cranberries than than any other types of berries put together. I made a cranberry relish Quick n'Lazy Cranberry Raisin & Walnut Relish, a strawberry and cranberry balsamic sauce for the pancakes and french toast for the B&B; and today I made orange, cranberry and walnut muffins similar to Festive Cranberry, Pecan and Orange Muffins.
Over the weekend I used my basic sponge recipe to make a cranberry and apple cake. Simple to make! The cranberries are extremely tart and sharp and worked quiet well in this sweet recipe.
- 225g self raising flour
- 165g caster sugar
- 125ml milk
- 125g soft butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 100g of cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 apple, sliced thinly
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees and line a spring form tin or use a silicone cake tin
- In a food mixer, add all the cake mix ingredients and mix on low until combined
- Scrape it into the cake tin and level it out evenly
- Top with the apple slices evenly and scatter over the cranberries
- Finally sprinkle with the demerara sugar and bake in the oven for 45 mins.
- Check that the cake is fully baked with a skewer before removing from the oven (Insert skewer to centre of cake if it comes out clean it's done, if not bake for a further 5 mins and try again)
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before gobbling the whole thing up.