Following watching an episode of Donna Hay's Fast Fresh & Simple cookery programme, I couldn't wait to try out her recipe for what seems to me to be the easiest cake you'll ever make. The only tweak to the recipe is that I've added some flaked almonds for some crunch to the topping, the rest is Donna Hay's.
I'm calling this my Waiting for Baby cake!!! Tomorrow is my baby due date so I wanted to keep myself busy in the kitchen without over exerting myself at this point; so I thought this recipe would be perfect, quick and easy and not too much waddling involved, plus there's the tasty treat at the end! You gotta keep the energy levels up you know!!
- 225g self raising flour
- 165g caster sugar
- 125ml milk
- 125g soft butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 apple, sliced thinly
- 100g of blueberries
- 25g of flaked almonds
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees and line a spring form tin
- In a food mixer, add all the cake mix ingredients and mix on low until combined
- Scrape it into the cake tin and level it out evenly
- Top with the apple slices evenly and scatter over the almonds and blueberries
- Finally sprinkle with the demerara sugar and bake in the oven for 45 mins.
- Check that the cake is fully baked with a skewer before removing from the oven (Insert skewer to centre of cake if it comes out clean it's done, if not bake for a further 5 mins and try again)
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before gobbling the whole thing up.
This is either perfect for afternoon tea or served warm with ice-cream as a great dessert for a dinner party.