- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 220g caster sugar
- Red food colouring
- Pretty ribbon for hanging
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees
- Separate the eggs and put the egg whites in a food mixer with the whisk attachment
- Whisk the eggs for 5 minutes, on medium speed.
- Add the sugar little by little, increase the speed of the whisk and continue to whisk for 8-10 minutes, until you have stiff peaks.
- Whisking slowly, add the colouring until you have reached the desired colour.
- Put the meringue into a piping bag.
- Pipe out thick circles onto baking trays lined with baking paper.
- Place the trays in the oven and bake for 25 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Using a ribbon hang the meringues on your Christmas tree. Keep them away from the fairy lights if you can as the heat can melt the meringues.