So anyone on Instagram will have noticed an increased presence in smoothie bowls in the Instafeed, people are going gaga for them. And sure why not, they are stunning to look at, and could quite possibly be the healthiest meal you will eat.
I adore them and now I'm hooked!! So versatile and pretty, there really is no right or wrong recipe, it's a little bit of what you fancy.
The premise though is, using a basic smoothie recipe as the base for the bowl. I would recommend making the smoothie slightly thicker than you would if you were going to drink from a glass.
Finally the toppings, you can mix anything from seeds, fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, chia seeds, quinoa. Whatever you fancy. These couldn't be healthier if you tried.
Here's the recipe for one of the smoothie bowls I make most often
- 1/2 a banana
- 1 tbsp of hemp protein powder
- 2 tbsp of almond milk
- 4 tbsp of frozen mixed berries
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp of chia seeds
- 1 tbsp of chopped pineapple
- 1 tbsp of melon
- 1 tbsp of mixed desicated coconut/sunflower seeds/pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp of walnuts, chopped
- Blitz your smoothie ingredients and pour into a bowl.
- Top the smoothie with the selected toppings