I call these buns, Muffin Surprise, because you can't tell what type of muffin you are eating until you sink your teeth into one. These are a very simple muffin mixture recipe, with my secret ingredient.....my divine homemade Rhubarb, Apple & Ginger Jam.
I cannot get enough of this jam, I'm literally obsessed. Not content with having this dreamy jam on scones and toast, I love to slather my pancakes with it, my french toast,heat it and top is over vanilla icecream (my fave), and now sneaking a spoonful into my muffin mixture.
Here's how to make the Rhubarb Apple & Ginger Jam
- 500g rhubarb, diced
- 300g of peeled chopped apple
- 1 inch piece of peeled ginger, diced
- 800g of granulated sugar
- 2-3 tbsp of water
- Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 20 minutes or so until the jam has thickened. It will thicken further when cooled. Pour into sterilized jars (I sterilise the jars in the dishwasher).
See!!! It's that easy, no excuse not to make your own jam, seriously!!
Rhubarb, Apple & Ginger Jam Muffin Surprise
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 160g sugar
- 170ml milk
- 1 egg
- 75g melted butter
- Rhubarb Jam
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin tray with paper cases.
- Sieve the flour and the baking powder into a bowl. Add the sugar
- Whisk the egg, milk and butter in a jug.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir through until incorporated into a muffin batter
- Put 1 tbsp of batter in each muffin case, followed by half a tsp of jam in each case, then divide the remaining batter into all the cases.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 22 minutes.
- Remove from the oven once baked and cool on wire rack
(Tip you can use shop bought jam of any description for this recipe to substitute the homemade jam)