This recipe is a great one pot dish and low in fat. It has chicken, dried apricots and a drizzle of honey, but other than those ingredients (all of which was very healthy and good for you anyways), the dish is extremely low in fat. It’s a great mid week dinner, just taking a few minutes to prepare and then ignore for 40 minutes or so, and presto, it’s done. This tastes really good the following day as well, so you can take it to work for lunch and just reheat for 3 minutes. The accompaniment for this dish, determines the fat level. This is served best with pitta and cous cous, or rice. On the other side you can be extremely healthy and serve with a green salad, semi-healthy with wedges of butternut squash or sweet potato, sprayed with low cal spray, sprinkled with ground cumin and baked in the oven for 30 minutes. The choice is yours.
- 3 breasts skinless chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tin of drained chickpeas
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 1 diced onion
- 6 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp of cumin
- 1 tbsp of turmeric
- 1 tbsp of coriander
- ½ tbsp of ground ginger
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- Chopped coriander
- 7-8 dried apricots, rehydrated in boiled water for 5 minutes
- ½ pint of low sodium stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 tbsp of runny honey
- In a large pan, fry off the chicken, spices, garlic and onion in the olive oil.
- Add the tomatoes after 5 minutes and continue mixing
- Add in the stock, bring back to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes so the sauce thickens and reduced.
- Finally, add the honey, apricots and the coriander and mix well
- Serve with you own choice of accompaniment.