This is a really really tasty, quiet fancy sandwich. The main calorie content is coming from the oil used to marinate the vegetables and of course the bread. I’m using a wholegrain pitta, split and opened out, but feel free to use whatever bread you prefer. By marinating the vegetables in a herby dressing before hand, really takes the flavours up a notch.
· 1 aubergine, sliced thinly length ways
· 1 courgette, sliced thinly lengthways
· ½ a red pepper, sliced into strips
· ½ a yellow pepper, sliced into strips
· 1 tomato, sliced thinly
· 50g of chickpeas (drained from a tin)
· 2 wholemeal pitta breads
· 1 handful of rocket
· 1 lemon
· 3 tomatoes
· Basil leaves
· ½ garlic clove
· ½ diced red chilli
· 1 tbsp of olive oil
· ½ a diced deseeded red chilli
· 2 sprigs of thyme leaves
· 1 tbsp of parsley
· 1 tbsp of mint
· 1 tbsp of coriander
· 1 garlic clove, minced
· 100 ml of low fat natural yogurt
· Juice of half a lemon
· Black Cracked pepper
· 3 tbsp of fresh mixed herbs (mint, coriander, and flat leaf parsley)
1. To make the marinade, place all the ingredients into a jug, and using a hand held blender, whizz them up until everything is incorporated.
2. Place the strips of vegetables in a shallow dish and pour over the oil marinade and shake so that everything is evenly covered.
3. Preheat your grill to a medium setting.
4. Once the vegetables have had a minimum. of 20minutes marinating, place then onto a grill rack and grill for 8 minutes a side, or until nicely charred, then turn over and grill for anything 8 minutes.
5. Meanwhile add the yogurt dressing ingredients to the same jug that the marinade was in, and using the hand held blender again, whizz it up until the yogurt turns a pale greeny colour.
6. Give the blender a quick wash, and in a separate jug, blitz the tomato salsa.
7. To plate up, split the pitta in half and lay in the centre of the plate.
8. Spread a thin layer of the tomato salsa on the cut side of the bread, and place the thin slices of tomato over the salsa.
9. Place the grilled vegetables over the salsa, along with some chickpeas.
10. In a separate bowl, mix the rocket and the lemon juice together, and pile a little over the sandwiches.
11. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
12. Place the remaining tomato salsa, chickpeas and yogurt on the side for dipping.