Everyone has a dish that people recognise you for, and for me its my roast chicken. Simple as it may seem, by cooking your chicken according to this recipe, I guarantee a moist flavorsome chicken every time.
Once you master the art of cooking a moist chicken, then you can experiment with other flavours, such as sticky Thai, or smoky paprika, or bacon and brandy......the list goes on!
- 1 good quality chicken, corn fed or organic is best. The supermarket ones tend to be tasteless and full of water.
- 1 lemon
- sea salt
- olive oil
- good bunch of thyme
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Place the chicken in a roasting tin, making sure it has plenty of room
- Grate the rind of the lemon over the chicken and grate 2 cloves of garlic over also
- Place the lemon into the cavity of the chicken along with half of the thyme
- With the rest of the thyme, sprinkle the leaves over the skin of the chicken
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper and pour over the olive oil.
- Massage all the flavours into the meat and leave to infuse for 30 mins
- Put 2 cloves of garlic into the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the chicken into the oven and cook for 45 mins
- After 45 mins, turn the chicken upside down and cook for another 30 mins
- Take the chicken out of oven again, and place it right side up and return to the oven for another 20-25 mins.
- To test that the chicken is fully cooked, the legs should easily twist free from the rest of the chicken, or alternatively you can put a skewer through the meatiest part of the chicken and see if the juices run clear.
- I'd leave the chicken rest under tin foil for 10 mins, after taking it out of the oven before carving.
- Beware though this recipe is seriously addictive, and I have started to cook one every Sunday evening and having enough for salads, sandwiches and Monday night dinners then.......making this seriously economical!
This can be a great low fat dinner with a big salad provided you can resist the urge to splurge on the crispy skin, every time I swear I'll leave the skin alone, and fail miserably 9 times out of 10. Its super yummy!