I came up with this recipe to feed my week night pasta craving, whilst trying to minimise the carbs !! The result was a yummy, low fat pasta bake that has breadcrumbs, cheese and pasta, all the evils of the dieting world. I also tweaked the recipe when cooking for my parents last night for more full on flavour, for those not so wasitline concious.
- 100g of dried penne pasta
- 1 aubergine, sliced roughly
- 1 red pepper, sliced roughly
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced roughly
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 1 courgette, slice roughly
- 50g feta cheese crumbled
- 1 slice of wholegrain bread, blitzed
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and Pepper
Tomato Sauce (basic sauce recipe, can be tweaked for a plutter of dishes)
- Tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 diced onion
- dried oregano
- shredded fresh basil leaves
- pinch sugar
- salt & pepper
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Splash of Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Place the chopped vegetables in a roasting tin and add the fresh thyme, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix together until all evenly coated.
- Roast in the oven for 20 mins turning occassionally for vegetables to be cooked evenly.
- Meanwhile put the pasta in a large saucepan of generously salted boiling water and cook according to packet instructions.
- To make the sauce, add the chopped onion and garlic to a saucepan along with the dried oregano and chilli flakes. Mix on low heat stirring occassionally.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, sugar, salt pepper, and balsamic and white wine vinegars, bring to the boil and reduce heat to simnmer for 20 mins.
- Add the fresh basil and roasted vegetables, stirring well to coat all vegetables with the tomato sauce.
- Drain the cooked pasta and add to the tomato and vegetables.
- Add the crumbled feta and mix well, careful to not break up the feta too much
- Transfer to a baking dish and top with the bread crumbs
- Bake in the oven for 15 mins, until a crispy coating develops on the top.
- Enjoy with some sneaky garlic bread and/or a crisp green salad.
Replace the feta for some mozerella for those not so anal on the calorie-count and increase the pasta amount. Also mix the breadcrumbs with some grated Parmesan cheese