Whether you are out to impress for a big dinner party, or you are cooking a romantic dinner for two, this recipe for pan seared duck breast and red wine sauce is a winner. It’s not a meal that’s kind to the waist line, so it’s definitely a special occasion meal. I got the recipe for the red wine and orange sauce from www.jameswhelanbutchers.com , and it is divine. The only thing I added to give it a twist of my own is thyme leaves. The recipe below for creamy mash potatoes is a doddle to make and this method really takes the stress out of boiling potatoes with the fear of over cooking.
· 2 Duck breasts, skin scored
· 1 bunch of fresh thyme
· 3 rooster potatoes
· 20g soft butter
· 10 mls of warmed milk
· White pepper and salt
Red Wine & Orange Sauce
· 2 shallots
· 200ml good red wine
· Zest and juice of some seasonal satsumas (oranges if you don’t have them)
· 1 tsp redcurrant jelly
· 1 tsp cornflour mixed with tbsp of water
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
2. Place the potatoes on roasting tray and bake in oven for 1 hour
3. After the hour, half the potatoes and scoop out the fluffy inside into a bowl.
4. Add the salt, pepper, butter and milk and mash until creamy.
5. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and cover the bowl with foil to keep warm. And thats your potatoes done.
6. For the duck, place a pan on high heat and place the duck skin side down. Lots of fat will render out. Place the duck on a warm plate and remove all but 1 tbsp of fat and return to the heat.
7. Fry the shallots in the fat for 5 minutes.
8. Add the wine, satsuma zest and juice, and thyme leaves, bring to the boil and replace the duck breast, skin side up in the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Remove the duck and thyme from the pan and keep warm.
10. Add the redcurrant jelly and cornflour mixture to the sauce and stir well, and allow to reduce a little.
11. To plate up, using a spatula to create a little air in the potato mixture, fold the potatoes a few times and then add to the centre of your plate.
12. Slice the duck thinly and place on top of the potatoes and pour over the sauce around the edges of the plate.
13. It’s really quiet an easy meal to prepare but it very visually impressive.