I cannot take any credit for these Bruschetta, they are my lil sis' creation, and I ring her every single time I want to make them, because I always seem to forget something. They are fantastic for a crowd or as pre dinner nibble. Its best to bang them together last minute, but make the topping in a bowl a little in advance so the ingredients can get to know each other and mingle in their juices!!! Bruschetta are a great start to an Italian based meal, or just as part of a tapas/antipasti platter.
Serves a crowd
- 2 large French baguettes
- 4 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 10 chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 10 chopped cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- sea salt/ fresh black pepper
- 1 tbsp green pesto (I used the rocket pesto I made last week)
- 6-7 large basil leaves, roughly torn
- Cut the bread, on the diagonal into bite size slices
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and cover for the flavours to mingle
- Put the sliced bread on a baking tray in a single layer and bake, till golden brown, then turn them to brown the other side
- At this stage the bread can wait until just before serving. I usually arrange the crusty slices on the serving platter at this stage, and then all you have to do just before serving is scatter the tomato mixture over and tear a few more basil leaves to decorate.
You can add whatever you wish really, but the idea is the same. Torn mozzarella is good with this, as is some spicy meats like chorizo or salami, or left over cooked chicken!!And they can be served warm also if you wish. But personally if the ingredients are fresh, then serving them fresh is best. I would definitely recommend sourcing the nicest, freshest tomatoes!!!