I made this loaf cake for my B&B guests, but I must confess there is only half a loaf left. WARNING: This cake is totally addictive. The buttermilk helps lift the cake to a crazy level of moistness!! And the lemon curd, gives the cake a super sharp hit. With summer upon us, this is the perfect breakfast/elevenses/afternoon tea/ any time cake!!! The blueberries and lemon curd are a match made in heaven.
When I asked my husband to test a slice of this cake and told him I made it up as I went along, he said 'you need to write down what you did immediately, and do it again!!' So here it is!
Note: You can use good quality shop bought lemon curd, but I made my own, using Clodagh McKenna's recipe from her book Homemade. My B&B guests swoon over that lemon curd. I'll post that recipe up shortly.
- 225g plain flour
- 110g blueberries
- 170g caster sugar
- 130ml buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 125g of butter
- 3 tbsp of lemon curd
- 1 tbsp of almond flakes
- 1 tbsp of demerara sugar
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 165 degrees.
- Sieve the flour and the baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and stir.
- Melt the butter and add to the buttermilk. Break an egg into the butter/buttermilk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredient and stir to combine. Add in the blueberries and stir just enough to combine.
- Grease a loaf tin and add half the mixture to the tin. Spread it evenly.
- Spread the lemon curd over the mixture and cover with the remaining cake mixture.
- Scatter the cake with the almonds and sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 55 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin, before turning out.