Monday, May 25, 2015

Moist n' Sharp Blueberry & Lemon Curd Loaf



I made this loaf cake for my B&B guests, but I must confess there is only half a loaf left. WARNING: This cake is totally addictive. The buttermilk helps lift the cake to a crazy level of moistness!! And the lemon curd, gives the cake a super sharp hit. With summer upon us, this is the perfect breakfast/elevenses/afternoon tea/ any time cake!!! The blueberries and lemon curd are a match made in heaven.



When I asked my husband to test a slice of this cake and told him I made it up as I went along, he said 'you need to write down what you did immediately, and do it again!!' So here it is!




Note: You can use good quality shop bought lemon curd, but I made my own, using Clodagh McKenna's recipe from her book Homemade. My B&B guests swoon over that lemon curd. I'll post that recipe up shortly.




Ingredients

  • 225g plain flour
  • 110g blueberries
  • 170g caster sugar
  • 130ml buttermilk
  • 1 egg
  • 125g of butter
  • 3 tbsp of lemon curd
  • 1 tbsp of almond flakes
  • 1 tbsp of demerara sugar
  • 1 tbsp of baking powder



Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 165 degrees.
  2. Sieve the flour and the baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and stir.
  3. Melt the butter and add to the buttermilk. Break an egg into the butter/buttermilk mixture and whisk to combine.
  4. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredient and stir to combine. Add in the blueberries and stir just enough to combine.
  5. Grease a loaf tin and add half the mixture to the tin. Spread it evenly.
  6. Spread the lemon curd over the mixture and cover with the remaining cake mixture.
  7. Scatter the cake with the almonds and sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
  8. Bake in the oven for 55 minutes.
  9. Allow to cool completely in the tin, before turning out.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...