When it's summertime and the living is easy, what nicer way to cool down than with a glass of homemade lemonade!! I've added freshly grated ginger to give the lemonade a burst of zing and extra freshness. It's super retro and perfect for serving at tea parties, kids parties and barbecues.
- 4 lemons
- 4 tbsp of caster sugar
- 1 thumb size peeled and grated ginger
- 2 litres of soda or sparkling water
- Lots of ice
- Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons into a saucepan and add the sugar and ginger.
- Bring to the boil and allow to bubble for 10 minutes for the liquid to reduce to a syrup ( do not stir when sugar is on the heat)
- Allow the syrup to cool completely.
- Thinly slice 2 lemons and add to a jug of iced sparkling water/soda water.
- Pour in half the syrup, reserving the rest for a refill.
This would make a terrific vodka cocktail also, for those of us who would be inclined...