To celebrate the 4th July in the Bed & Breakfast this morning, I've baked blueberry muffins as I remember them in New York. My breakfast every morning when on holidays in NYC would be a large coffee and a blueberry muffin from the coffee shop around the corner from where I was staying. It was the perfect fuel I needed for a day of shopping & sightseeing.
I remember the muffins in NYC were supersized , not like the muffins I was used to, I remember them to be fluffy and having a hint of a lemony taste, which went so well with the bittersweet blueberries.
This recipe is a homage to those crazy tasty muffins in Manhattan!
Happy 4th of July everyone!
· 400g Plain flour
· 150g Caster sugar
· 80g Butter
· 2 eggs
· 1 tbsp Baking powder
· Zest of 2 lemons
· 260ml Buttermilk
· Juice of 1 lemon
· 1 tsp of salt
· 200g of fresh blueberrries
1. Sieve the flour into a bowl, along with the baking powder, salt and sugar.
2. Melt the butter over a low heat.
3. Zest the lemons over the flour mixture
4. Lift the flour mixture high from the bowl and let it fall between your fingers, do this maybe 10 times. This helps to lighten the flour.
5. Beat the eggs in a jug with the buttermilk and add the melted butter once its cooled slightly and the orange juice.
6. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
7. Add the apple and blueberries and gently fold.
8. Have the oven preheated to 200 degrees.
9. Line a muffin tray with paper cases and using a dessert spoon fill each case.
10. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
11. Remove and cool on wire rack.
If you like these muffins, I took the recipe from a previous blog post Apple & Blueberry Muffins, click on the link below to check it out.