I'll be honest, I'm not a huge scrambled egg fan, I find them to be quite blah! This morning I needed a breakfast to keep me going late into the afternoon, that won't pile on the pounds like a full Irish Fry-up would. Ever the calorie conscious I need something light yet filling. Eggs are a great source of protein and they do give you lots of energy and keep you fuller for longer.
So I set about to figure out a tasty egg breakfast that's semi-low fat.
That's when I came up with Mexican scrambled eggs. That would satisfy my need for spice and kick ass flavours and its also quite a low fat breakfast. After eating it, I'm truly converted to scrambled eggs the Mexican way!!! And you know what......why reserve this recipe totally for breakfast, this would be a fantastic lunch, or a great evening supper also. This recipe is for a one person serving, so change the quantities accordingly. ¡Buen Provecho!
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 10 mls of semi skimmed milk
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 quarter red onion, diced
- 1 slice of spicy jalapeno pepper, diced (add more or less depending on how hard a kick you want)
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 a corn tortilla
- Spray of low fat oil
- Chopped coriander
- Tabasco sauce to serve.
- Roll the corn tortilla, and then snip with a kitchen scissors into small strips
- Heat a frying pan to medium, add the tortilla strips and fry them with a 2-3 sprays of low fat cooking oil
- Remove the tortilla strips, and add the tomatoes, jalapenos, and onions to the pan. Spray more oil if needed.
- In a jug, break the eggs, add some salt and pepper and the milk, whisk briskly to combine.
- Add the eggs to the pan and gently fold into the tomato and onion mixture.
- Return the strips of tortilla back to the pan and fold into the eggs. Careful not to over cook the eggs.Take them off the heat while they still soft.
- Mix in the chopped coriander, splash on as much tabasco sauce as you can brave and enjoy!