Saturday, June 4, 2011

Boozy Chocolate Truffles....Captain Morgan Strikes Again



These simple chocolates are a continuation really from my honeycomb. Last time I made these was for my mom, for Mothers Day as a little treat. I’m a big believer that homemade gifts are more thoughtful…….especially if they come with a Topshop voucherJ. I spotted this recipe in my favourite magazine, Good Food a year or two ago. It sounded like the simplest sweet treat one could make, so me being totally new to the whole dessert world, I gave it a whirl! Talk about easy peasy!!!! The great thing is, although they are very easy to make, they look really impressive and thoughtful. Not only could these be used as a tasty edible gift, these also go down well at the coffee section of dinner parties. This recipe is the basic one from the BBCs Good food Magazine, but I try experimenting then with flavours and textures, depending on the occasion and who they are intended for.
This time round I’m making 2 different types, Boozy Rum & Minty & Coconut, as I’m making them for a Hen party I’m attending tomorrow night in Ballyvaughan, and I thought it would be a nice gesture to Nicola, our Hen, though there might be enough booze already there!!!

Serves 1 batch makes 16 balls

Ingredients

  • 100g shop bought madeira cake, blitzed to crumbs
  • 100g chocolate of choice, a good quality makes all the different
  • 75 mls from Can Condensed milk 
  • 50g ground almonds
  • 100g icing sugar
  • Icing sugar/cocoa powder to decorate



Method

  1. Melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water, careful don’t the water touch the bottom of the pan
  2. When the chocolate is melted add all the remaining ingredients
  3. Stir well to combine
  4. Roll out some parchment paper and using a teaspoon, make little balls of chocolate rolling with you hands to try to make a perfect ball
  5. Roll them in your preferred topping, i.e. icing sugar, cocoa, chopped nuts, and refrigerate. A mixture of all 3 is good and feel free to add your own twist.


For my truffles today, I’m using dark chocolate and adding a shot glass of Captain Morgan Rum. I’m also using some Lindt mint chocolate and I’ll roll them in desiccated coconut then to decorate and give them a crunch. As these are a gift, I’ve picked up a jar from a hardware shop and I’m going to wrap it in tissue paper and present it to the Hen
Booze and chocolate will make for happy hen goers!!!


1 comment:

Mandy said...

They were absolutely divine I almost didn't believe they were home made, well done xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...