Monday, May 14, 2012

Low Fat Chilli Con Carne


After a crazy few weeks of getting Sika Lodge ready to be open for business, I’m finally back in my (brand new) kitchen and cooking our dinners again. Yay!!!
T’was a hard slog and actually over the last week I was even forgetting to eat I was so busy!!!! Imagine that!!! It’s first, let me tell you!!!!



I’m out of my mom’s kitchen and relishing my new kitchen, with all my new Neff appliances. But you know what, after all that hard work, and time still not on my side (still commuting to cork daily to work), I’ve been craving something with a punch, that’s effortless and convenient, that won’t compromise on calories naturally.

Those who know me know that I’m a big advocator of turkey mince, it’s so versatile and more importantly low fat and packed full of protein. This recipe puts a Latino twist on my turkey mince…… it’s my Low Fat Chilli Con Carne recipe. I’m not including the normal accompaniments here, but some guacamole, sour cream, grated cheese and tortilla chips would make this the ultimate fiesta dinner for a crowd at the weekend also!!!! Super casual, super tasty, and diet friendly!!!!

If I’ll be having drinks parties (and I will!!) off season of course, this Chilli will certainly be served to my guests. Though, in that case, I would opt for the steak mince.




Serves 4

Ingredients

·         400g turkey mince
·         Garlic clove, diced
·         1 onion, diced
·         1 tin of chopped tomatoes
·         1 tbsp of tomato puree
·         1 tin of kidney beans (rinsed)
·         1 tbsp of ground cumin
·         1 tbsp of ground coriander
·         1 large red chilli, deseeded and diced
·         ½ tbsp. of brown sugar
·         5 table spoons of fresh chopped coriander
·         Salt/pepper/low fat oil spray

To serve : rice or low fat baked sweet potato wedges

Method

1.       Get a pan on medium heat and spray with low cal spray
2.       Add the mince and brown
3.       Add the garlic and onion and fry for a few minutes
4.       To this stir through the tomato puree and tin of tomatoes.
5.       So as not to loose all the tomato juices in the tin, pour water a quarter full, swirl  the tin and add to the pan.
6.       (at the point, this is a base for any turkey mince dish (i.e. Spaghetti Bol, so you could easily add pesto and basil for a low fat Italian Spag Bol)
7.       Cover the mince, leave to simmer for 30-40 minutes.
8.       Then uncover, add the chilli, cumin, coriander and sugar.
9.       Rinse the kidney beans and add them also.
10.   Stir thoroughly and cook for a further 5 minutes.
11.   Add the chopped coriander and serve with either rice or potato wedges (optional cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, and guacamole of course)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...