Mille-feuille is a French cream bun made consisting of mainly cream and pastry. I have a quick cheat version that is a doddle to prepare and once assembled, looks amazingly impressive. It’s so pretty its near criminal to bite into it.
· 400ml of cream
· 200g of mixed berries (fresh not frozen)I’m using raspberries and blueberries
· 4 tbsp of strawberry jam
· 20g icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
2. Half the sheets vertically
3. Place the sheets of puff pastry on two oven trays
4. Prick the pastry with a fork
5. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes
6. Place on a cooling rack
7. Whip the cream
8. To prepare, place on square of pastry on the serving plate.
9. Dollop some cream on the pastry, creating a hollow in the centre.
10. Place a few berries in the hollow area, and top with another pastry layer, spread more cream on the layer and top with more berries.
11. Spread a layer of jam on another sheet of pastry, and place that piece of pastry, jam-side down on the cream and berries.
12. Top that tier of pastry with a final smear of cream and berries and dust with icing sugar.