I'm finally in my new kitchen (even though its on it's last legs), so I've been busy cooking up some dishes to make up for the time I lost moving [ and trying to get the stove to work]. It's my last day before I go back to work and start the commute so I thought I'd set some time aside and make a lunch today, that will do nicely for lunch tomorrow also to take to work.
For those of you that know me, I'm a big fan of the high protein, low carb approach to my food, especially mid week. It's because of this that I had decide to make carrot and cumin falafels which are made with predominately chickpeas. Chickpeas are a great source of protein and are very filling and low fat.
Falafels are basically deep fried pattys made from chickpeas and usually used as a filling in a pitta bread or as part of a salad originally from the Middle East.
My falafels are not deep fried [heaven's forbid no!!), they are instead baked in the oven for 20 minutes or so. My falafels will be used in a salad, but please yourself. Falafels are absolutely divine in a pitta with crispy lettuce, tomato slices and cumcber with a tahini dressing.
Makes 20 mini falafels
- 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red chili, deseeded
- 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, quartered
- 2 tbsp of cumin powder
- salt and pepper
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp of flat leaf parsley
- 1 egg white
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients
- Whizz until smooth
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees
- Place the whizzed mixture in the fridge to firm, while the oven is preheating.
- Get a baking tray and line with baking parchment
- Using a teaspoon, make 20 little balls from the falafel mixture and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven, from 15 minutes and then turn and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve as part of a mezze or as the main attraction for a salad.
I'm serving mine falafels with 1 tbsp of cous cous, 1 tbsp of hummus, rocket leaves, and stuffed peppers. Falafels are not complete without some low fat natural yogurt and lemon juice.