These are the most simplest, yet visually impressive sweet treat. They are a doddle to make and are prepared from start to finish in under 30 minutes. and lets put it this way, if I can make these................. then anyone can. I'm using pre made pastry. Pastry is such a finiky business. Chefs can spend years in France learning how to make the perfect pastry. Seeing as I am no chef, I'm definitely taking the express route. The way I see it, if the store bought one is good....then why kill your self making a pastry.........if nothing else think of the washing up you spare yourself :)
- 1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 pint of whipping cream
- 3 tbsp of caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten for glazing
- Berries to decorate
- Icing sugar to decorate
- Defrost the pastry (if using frozen) according to packet instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Lay out the pastry sheet, and cut into first even strips, then horizontally into even squares
- On a floured baking tray, spread the squares out careful they not touching.
- Prick each square with a fork to prevent too much rising
- Brush the beaten egg on each square. Be careful not to spread the egg wash on the sides though, just the top.
- Pop in the oven for 10-12 minutes
- Meanwhile, to make the cream filling, whip the cream to soft peaks, adding a little sugar at a time.
- Once the squares are ready, pop them on a wire rack to cool.
- When they are fully cooled, take a butter knife and half them, leaving you with a sandwich
- Put a dollop of cream one sqaure, cover it with its top, add more cream on the top and then decorate with some berries.
- To finish, put some icing sugar in a sieve and sprinkle over the finish dish.
Now, how impressive is that!!