Thursday, February 23, 2017

"Chocolate" Energy Bars


These energy bars are a variation on my Nut Free Energy Balls. Their very health ingredients help give a slow release of energy along with a tasty chocolatey hit. I've research Maca powder lately after seeing it in my local Aldi supermarket. Apparently it has a positive effect on our hormone levels, it's an energy booster, along with being very rich in nutrients. It's high in vitamin B, C, & E; and it has a higher level of calcium than milk.  I think I'm onto a new favorite in my health food cupboard, along with my raw cocoa powder and chia seeds.



I highly recommend making these, they are delicious and the kids love them. Perhaps too good as I've snuck to the freezer at least for four times today for a sneeky bite.



Ingredients

  • 9oz pitted dates
  • 4 oz raw almonds
  • 2 tbsp of coconut oil
  • 2 tbsp of maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp of maca powder
  • 1 tbsp of  raw cocoa powder
  • 1  tsp of salt
  • 2 tbsp of desiccated coconut 
  • 1-2 tbsp of sesame seeds




Method


  1. Pulse the almonds in a food processor until they are broken down.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients and blender until the mixture forms a large dough ball.
  3. Turn out the ball onto a swiss roll tin lined with baking paper, and flatten out into a thin even layer.
  4. Scatter with the sesame seeds and transfer to the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up.
  5. Cut into squares and store either in the freezer or the fridge. (I like them hard and chewy out of the freezer).







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...