These energy bars are a variation on my Nut Free Energy Balls. Their very health ingredients help give a slow release of energy along with a tasty chocolatey hit. I've research Maca powder lately after seeing it in my local Aldi supermarket. Apparently it has a positive effect on our hormone levels, it's an energy booster, along with being very rich in nutrients. It's high in vitamin B, C, & E; and it has a higher level of calcium than milk. I think I'm onto a new favorite in my health food cupboard, along with my raw cocoa powder and chia seeds.
I highly recommend making these, they are delicious and the kids love them. Perhaps too good as I've snuck to the freezer at least for four times today for a sneeky bite.
- 9oz pitted dates
- 4 oz raw almonds
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- 1 tbsp of maca powder
- 1 tbsp of raw cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of desiccated coconut
- 1-2 tbsp of sesame seeds
- Pulse the almonds in a food processor until they are broken down.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blender until the mixture forms a large dough ball.
- Turn out the ball onto a swiss roll tin lined with baking paper, and flatten out into a thin even layer.
- Scatter with the sesame seeds and transfer to the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Cut into squares and store either in the freezer or the fridge. (I like them hard and chewy out of the freezer).