Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Aubergine, Sweet Potato & Chickpea Balti - A Low Fat Balti Hit


So my obsession with sweet potatoes is clearly continuing. I've been trying to maintain a healthy diet lately with the run up to Christmas well and truly here.However last Monday to Friday was a real dieters struggle was a series of dull boring low calorie dinners, and left me longing for the weekend to hurry up for my treats.



This week I decided I couldn't face another week of roast veggies and quinoa for 5 days on the trot. I don't think I can actually face roast veggies and quinoa again for a very long time. I wanted to make a meal I could look forward to, so I set about making this delicious, sweet and spicy vegetable Balti curry. It's gorgeous.
The perfect amount of fiery heat and the long slow stew of the vegetables lent a sweet and delicate flavour to the dish. The addition of spinach was because, 'why not'! It's super healthy, and packed with iron. I had half a tin of chickpeas leftover so decided to bung them into the mix too. They are a great source of protein and help you stay fuller for longer, or so I'm told. I must say they did the trick as I was completely stuffed at the end of my meal and didn't long for the chili con carne I had made the rest of the family.



I have enough for tomorrows dinner also and I'm looking forward to it already. Of course leftover can also be frozen if you are unable to take the same dinner two days in a row. I myself get like that sometimes, but I suppose it depends what the offering is. In this case, I'm certainly not dreading it. I can't wait.



Serves 4ish

Ingredients

  • 1 aubergine, cubed
  • 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1 red onion, finely sliced
  • 1/2 can chick peas
  • 500g of passata 
  • 1 tbsp balti paste
  • 1 garlic clove, diced
  • 1 ginger piece, diced
  • 1 large handful of baby spinach leaves, washed
  • 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 tbsp of coconut oil
  • 2 tbsp of low fat natural Greek yogurt




To Serve
1 Small portion of brown rice per person

Method

  1. Get a heavy based saucepan on a medium heat and add the sliced onions, garlic, ginger and oil.
  2. Fry them for a minute or so, then add the balti paste.
  3. Fried off the paste for another minute or so and add the aubergines & sweet potatoes.
  4. Add the passata and stir well to combine.
  5. Partially cover and simmer on a low heat for 40 minutes.
  6. Add the chickpeas and one table spoon of yogurt and stir well
  7. Simmer for another few minutes.
  8. Season well with salt and pepper and add the spinach leaves. Turn the heat off immediately and gently stir the spinach leaves through until wilted. The add the parsley.
  9. To serve, top each portion of curry with the second table spoon of yogurt and serve with a small portion of brown rice. (Mine is flecked with a small bit of black quinoa)




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...