Friday, February 5, 2016

Homemade Chocolate Spread - A Healthy Nutella Alternative



I've been absent on the blog lately with two babies to take care of and home renovations to complete before re opening the bed and breakfast. Today is Nutella Day so I  thought what better day to write my first blog post of 2016. As usual the start of a new year,  a new healthier eating plan (well good intentions anyway). Here is a an indulgent chocolate spread, but being homemade, it's ten times better than the shop bought alternative. Everything in moderation, right!?




We love Nutella in this house and  I'm constantly including it in baking recipes, especially for the Bed and Breakfast. Last summer, through trial and error, I developed my own take on Nutella, recreating it from scratch at home. It is indulgent, but gives me piece of mind to know that I made it at home myself so I know exactly what's in it. Here is the recipe and all the photos that have me drooling today.



Ingredients


  • 150g of hazelnuts
  • 150g of dark chocolate, melted
  • 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
  • 3 tbsp of icing sugar
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp of salt
  • 1 tbsp of cocoa powder




Method


  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
  2. Place the hazelnuts on a roasting tray and roast the hazelnuts for 10 minutes, until they have browned and blistered.
  3. Once the hazelnuts are roasted, put in the tablecloth and rub vigorously to remove as much of the skins as possible.
  4. Place the toasted hazelnuts in a food processor and blend to a paste.
  5. Add the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth. The mixture will be a bit grainy, not as smooth as regular chocolate spread, but that is the charm of this spread.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...