Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Courgette & Walnut Bread


I love baking bread, but with little time on my hands I usually go for quick prepping bread, nothing usually that requires, yeast, proving and rising. Hence the bread I mostly make is soda bread, carrot bread, banana bread, and now more often Courgette Bread; zucchini, for our friends across the pond. 



I have been testing this recipe for some time now, trying to find the best way of baking the bread. I have tried a super fast food processor version and also a version by hand. I must say the version by hand is probably nicer than the food processor method, as the walnuts and and the shreds of courgette still give a bite. 



I was very fortunate last night that my brother Keith dropped by an amazing whopper of a yellow courgette; big enough for two loaves of bread. Keith was the one in the family blessed with green fingers. He grows potatoes out of old boots, chili plants, anything he touches in the garden grows. I on the other hand have a great knack of killing even store bought basil plants. So I was very grateful to receive this home grown treat. 

So here is my tried and tested recipe for Courgette & Walnut Bread.



Ingredients
  • 500g of grated courgette (zucchini)
  • 1 lb of plain flour
  • 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
  • 350g of caster sugar
  • 2/3 cup of vegetable oil
  • 130g chopped walnuts
  • 1 tbsp of cinnamon
  • 4 eggs



Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line 2 1lb loaf tins
  2. Get 2 mixing bowls. In the first bowl add the grated courgette, eggs and oil.
  3. Add all the remaining dry ingredients to the second bowl, and mix well.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
  5. Divide the bread mixture between the two loaf tins.
  6. Bake in the oven for 65 minutes. Turn out of a wire rack and cool.
  7. This bread taste even better the following day and keeps very well for up to 4 days as the grated courgette keeps the bread superbly moist.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...