In continuing my breakfast recipes, which are predominately Paleo friendly; here's a really quick, easy, and delicious way to start the day; Poached Eggs With Peperonata. I must admit though, I didn't make the peperonata fresh this morning. It's leftovers from my roast pork dinner last night. Who'd have thought I'd have found a breakfast use from some leftover roast dinner.
Peperonata is a really tasty side dish, not to mention extremely healthy and low fat. Pairing it with my daily two poached eggs, really lifts my breakfast plate.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp of white wine vinegar
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 4-5 basil leaves
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of tomato paste
- Black pepper
- Slice the peppers into strips length ways
- Slice the onions in thin half moon shapes
- Crush the garlic clove and dice the tomatoes
- Put the olive oil in a frying pan and saute the onion and garlic and tomato paste
- Then add the peppers and the tomatoes
- Allow to stew for 8-10 minutes
- Season with black pepper and scatter the basil leaves,shredded, over the dish
- Put a saucepan of boiling water on the boil and add the vinegar and turn on a medium heat.
- When the water is at a rolling boil, crack an egg on a saucer and slide the egg into the water. Repeat with second egg
- Allow to simmer for four and a half minutes before removing.
- Place the peperonata on a serving plate and top with the two poached eggs.