It's only when guests come to stay with us with a food intolerance/allergy that I actually appreciate the fact that I am able to eat everything and anything I want to. I simply take it for granted!!! Today I had a lovely family visit us, with both egg allergies and nut allergies! Scary biscuits!! I never think about not being able to eat eggs, breads and cakes!!!! My breakfast's foundation seems to be my Beaufort eggs, be it in the Full Irish Breakfasts I cook, or the pancakes I make, or even the muffins and breads I bake. Being allergic to eggs has automatically eliminated alot of my dishes from the choice for my guests!!!
Always one to please everyone, I set about baking something that all my guests can enjoy! So thus came the arrival of my Egg-Free, Nut Free Banana Breakfast Muffins. I normally adapt my Banana & Walnut Muffin recipe from Jamie Olivers Spiced Banana Muffins, so I've made a few changes to make my Egg & Nut Free version today.
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 bananas
- 6 tbsp of sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 75g of brown sugar
- 200g of self raising flour
- 125g of buttermilk
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
First, preheat oven to 200 degrees and place 12 muffin cases in a bun tray.
- Mash 2 very ripe bananas together.
- Add 6 tbsp of sunflower oil and 1 tbsp of honey
- Add 75g of brown sugar and mix well.
- Measure 125ml of buttermilk and add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and mix
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the banana mixture and combine
- Finally, sieve in the flour and gently fold
- Divide the mixture amongst the muffin cases and bake in the oven for 20 minutes
- Take out of oven and place on a cooling rack.