Happy Mother's Day to all the mums out there! I hope your nearest and dearest are looking after you on this special day. If there's anyone out there who didn't nip to the shops for a box of chocolates their moms, fear not, help is here. This is such an easy peasy lemon drizzle cake, you can whip it up in no time and mum will feel super special that you made an effort and baked her a cake.
It's my very first mothers day today, which I think is a big deal, as last mothers day I was two weeks away from giving birth, and I felt cheated that I couldn't celebrate mothers day (for myself, of course I spoilt my own amazing mammy!).
Even though it is my first mother's day, I actually don't think I can now visualise what life was like without being a mom. It's the most important thing in my life and equally my mom is one of the most important people in my life and I always try to find ways to tell her how much I appreciate her and how much she means to me and my little girl. The old saying 'where would we be without our mothers' comes to mind, and I think never a truer thing has be said.
So here is my lemon drizzle cake that I just made up really as I went along. With all my cakes I am using my basic cake mix quantities that I owe thanks to Donna Hay for. Then I tweak it to make different types of flavour cakes. My cake cracked a lot on the surface and normally I would be very upset about this, but it suited my lemon drizzle cake perfectly as it means that the sugary lemony syrup gets to travel down throughout the cake permeating the cake with yet more lemony fragrance.
- 225g of self raising flour
- 165g of caster sugar
- 120ml of milk
- 5ml of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of sicilian lemon extract
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 large eggs
- 125g of butter
- 85g of caster sugar
- juice of 1 large lemon
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees celsius
- Prepare your cake tin. I'm using a silicone cake tin, for an easy life. I think they are great!
- In a food mixer, sift the flour and sugar into the bowl. Add the zest.
- In a jug add the egg, juice and milk.
- Melt the butter for 1 minute in the microwave.
- Add the butter and the lemon extract to the jug and whisk to combine.
- On a slow setting in the mixer, mix the flour and sugar and slowly add the wet ingredients.
- Mix only until combined, do not over mix.
- Add the batter to the cake tin and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- When the cake is baked, remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack
- When the cake is cool, make the drizzle by whisking the caster sugar and lemon juice together.
- Pour over the cake, ensuring it leaks into all the crevices of the cake.
- Serve with a hug and a cup of tea.
Happy Mothers Day!!!!!!!!